Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Pinwheel Cookies

I confess...my least favorite Christmas activity is frosting sugar cookies.    By the time I get the cookies mixed, rolled, cut and baked I am done with the kitchen.   I know that it is a tradition for most families and out of obligation I will eventually give in and make them with my kids.  I would much rather be relaxing by the tree listening to my Bing Crosby.





For neighbor gifts this year, I made red and white pinwheel cookies.  This was my first time making them and was delighted at how they turned out.   They were much easier that the traditional cut out cookies and required to additional decorating,  which is my favorite part about these.  

Once you have the dough made, divide the dough in half.  Dye one dough half red and roll out both into a rectangle exactly the same size.    

When making the red dough,  I used red gel food coloring and also added a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder.  I use this same trick when making red fondant frosting.   The cocoa powder makes the dough red rather than pink.  

I think the trick to this is to roll each dough on a silicone mat and make sure they measure the same.  Keep the dough about 1/4 in thick.   The silicone mat make it easy to place one dough on top of the other and rolling the dough tightly.  


Before slicing the dough,  I rolled it in pearl sprinkles. This was easy and a great solution to adding decoration.   My mom also made the same cookies, but once the cookies were cooked, she went the extra mile and made a glaze to cover the sides.  Then she rolled the sides in crushed candy cane.

Most sugar cookie dough recipe will work when making these.   Since we don't cook with eggs,  I will share our favorite egg free sugar cookie recipe.



Recipe adapted from: Art of Dessert


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...